How massage works at alleviating your nervous system
The effects of massage on the nervous system depend on the direct and reflex reaction of the nerves stimulated. The nervous system can be stimulated or soothed depending on the type of massage movement applied. For your nervous system, massage generally causes a calming, relaxing feeling.
Additional benefits of massage on your nervous system:
- Massage can have relaxing, yet stimulating effects on the nervous system depending on the type and length of massage treatment given.
- Massage stimulates the touch, pressure, and
receptors of the skin (and underlying tissues.)
- Massage helps to balance the autonomic nervous system.
- Massage relaxes the muscles and helps to re-establish proper tonus through its effect on the neuromuscular reflex pathways.
- Massage is known to affect the neurotransmitters of the brain and increase endorphin secretion in particular (natural painkillers).
- Massage can help decrease nerve entrapment
- Massage can reduce nerve root compression (caused by muscle tension).
- Massage can be quite effective in treating and reducing pain conditions
- Anxiety and depression eased due to the calming of the nervous system.
- Stimulation of the nerve receptors have reflex reactions affecting the vasomotor nerves, internal organs, pain perception nerves, and the underlying joints and muscles of the areas being massaged
- Massage can help in treating restlessness and insomnia
Also see how massage benefits your:
Circulatory, Lymph, and Cardio-Vascular Systems
Digestive and Excretory Systems
Click here to see what to expect when receiving a massage
Contact Me at Boulder and Denver Colorado’s Deserving Body Massage
Schedule a massage appointment automatically and easily
Purchase gift certificate for friend or loved one